Saturday, October 22, 2011

Sometimes its.....

Sometimes its just funny.  What is some Canadian doing here in this city in Indonesia, basically floundering around.  I just laugh with God.  I think God laughs along me and sometimes at me.  Ones in a while I try to get perspective of myself here, and its just really funny.  Basically, a man trying to figure out this thing called life in Indonesia.  It is hard to put into words.    

This experience is unlike anything else in life. 

Although, if I go abroad again after this year there would be some similarities to this, the combination occurring here is quite unique.  The combination of this being my first time abroad since I was 5, a new language, new culture, new job, new people and new home, new climate.  Few other times in my life will I ever being completely surrounded by people who are not from another country.  Many times when people go abroad there is at least one person who is in also a foreigner.

Sometimes its frustrating.

There is one gnawing question that has pursued me this week.    

How can I form deep relationships with Indonesians when asking about what they do for work is a massive undertaking? Being able to talk about things like, worship, poverty, politics, faith, dreams, struggles seems like an eternity away.

This is to be expected.  But still frustrating.     

I asked my dad:
“So what was your experience like with language in your time abroad in being able to communicate in depth?”
“Oh, it takes years!”
Well, at least that is honest.  I guess I will have to return.

Sometimes I am completely covered in sweaty stickiness.
More like always.

Finally, I have arrived in my host community where I will stay until July.  I was here 1.5 months ago.  I am loving being back here in Kudus, not necessarily for all of the characteristics I outline below.  
Kudus is:
--Industrial. Home to massive cigarette factories.
--Hot and Humid—feels like 40 degrees right now.
--800,000 people live in Kudus and the surrounding area.
--Muslim.  Even more Islamic than most of Indonesia.
--By a mountain.  But I usually can’t see it because of…..clouds or smog.
--Mennonite.  Significant Mennonite community here.

Sometimes it is confusing.
Basically I am half way through a 2 week orientation of life here in Kudus.  Trying to figure out family life.  Trying to understand what the church is about and where I will fit into it.  I am going to focus my time here in the church.  There was widespread confusion about my role her in Kudus with the community.  Rumors in the public school system that I was helping them.  Rumors in the Christian school system that I was going to help them.  Rumors in another city that I was going to work with their organization.  Everyone wants me.  I feel so loved.  But it is also a bit confusing and overwhelming.  

Sometimes its incredibly fascinating.
I had an absolutely fascinating encounter with corruption. 

I was invited to join a meeting for pastors in Kudus to better understand marriage law.  I can think of more riveting topics, but I thought I would join.  That turned out to be a great choice.
There were 2 government employees who sat in front of a group pastors explaining how one can get the paperwork done for marriage.  Then halfway through the meeting the topic turned towards payment methods for such services.  One was advised to give a “gift” to the employees if one wanted to have their marriage papers completed.  There was an amount established that was reiterated many times.  The “gift” was not only for the employees, but also for those higher up on the ladder. 

Why? 
It was paying them for overtime that they were not payed for.  The employees went on to describe that one was allowed to pay more as a “gift” in return for better service or could barter for a lower price.  Importantly, those whom were getting the papers done were told not to talk about this when the came to the office.  I was laughing out loud during the meeting with the youth pastor.  They set this meeting up not because they wanted to inform the pastors how to apply for marriage, but the “gifts” lately were not up to par.       

Sometimes its lonely.

This week I felt like a first-year university student in Canada who doesn’t speak English well.  Now I know what my first year roommate felt like.  I meet so many people with names that don’t stick in my mind at all.  Ari, Aris, Andi, Andis are among favorite names here. 
Probably I feel the loneliest when there are jokes and laughter going on around me which I have no idea what they are about.  This happens a lot.  Indonesians love to laugh.  I do to, sometimes I just laugh along with them.  Until I realize that it is about me.

At the same time there is a sense of exhilaration in these new places and with these people, in the same way that a new university student feels when they arrive for the first time. 
If you imagine a university student with little English going to class.  That is me here at meetings and gatherings. 

Sometimes its boring.
Here is an example: 
Indonesians love meetings.  I’m serious. 

The first meeting I was invited I figured would go for an 1-2 hours.  Nope.  2 days.

The second meeting I was invited to I figured 1-2 hours. Nope.  9:30am-3:30pm with 5 minutes to run out and bring back a lunch.  During my ummmmm.......captivity, I read 120pgs about Muslim-Christian spirituality. I have never read that many pages in one sitting.  I have never read that many pages in one day before. 

The meetings I went to this week were full of laughter even on mundane topics. 
They never started on time.
They were never any sense of urgency to complete the meeting. 
They was never a shortage of food.
And sometimes there is a shortage of patience and focus for Jason. 

Sometimes it is a ridiculously  fun.
There is a major “hangout” culture here.  They call it to “nongkrong.”  There tends to be less “things” to do as compared to at home so lots of sitting around talking and laughing…….and texting.  Oh my, a cell phone is an added appendage to many Indonesians. 




I feel quite free to be my self here.  Some remarkably similar ways of joking around.  The young adults are a great source of joy for me. 

Sometimes its energizing.
Like being on the back of a motor bike weaving your way through the streets of Indonesia.  
Like playing telephone dictionary with the youth.
Like eating mangoes.  My daily quota of 2.
Like knowing that I will study the Koran and the Muslim faith with a recent convert.
Like realizing the how much change that has already occurred in me.
Like getting mail from a friend from Canada.
Like not knowing what your day will be like when you wake up.

Like eating something different every day.  Intestines was a recent favorite.
Like having 2 cold bucket showers a day.  

Sometimes there is not enough time to write.  
I will cover home life and church life soon. 
I hope to reflect about the over turning of assumptions, identity thoughts and culture thoughts.
Pictures will come soon.
I hope to put a video up of my home.

What is up this week? Leading games, preparing reflections, visiting peoples homes, reading, continuing to study language, visiting more church ministries.  Another week of orientation. 

There is something gripping about being here, I would never want to go home now.

I always miss home and the life lived with family and friends.  But not so much that it is taking anything away from this experience. 

1 comment:

  1. Jason,
    I'm really enjoying following your blog. Your sentiments sound pretty similar to some of my own thoughts and journal entries after a few months in Cambodia. Day-long meetings, laughter and conversations rippling around you, the thrill of a good moto ride, the longing for less humidity...it can be a bit overwhelming at times, but still wonderful. I hope you continue to soak it in, build relationships, and learn about yourself and Indonesia.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete