Friday, November 18, 2011

Idul Adha (with photos)

I woke up Sunday morning and headed off to the neighborhood mosque.  I had no idea what I was getting myself into...


I wandered through pools of blood,
on the spectacular white floors.
Awkwardly of course

I then try to sit cross-legged like an Indonesian, but the result is nothing pretty.
I smell….whatever that mixture of blood, meat and guts smell like.
I nervously pick up a knife.
I am told to grab a chunk of freshly slaughter meat.

Then a helpful man cracks a smile.
I nearly amputate his fingers before he corrects my horrible butchering skills.
Two other men try to understand why with them on such an important day.
Everyone else takes a glance, then they need to take a second glance, and then they continue on chopping, sawing, pulling the buffalo.

Continuing sitting, I tear, cut and well…..
Just love to put my fingers in the rich red meat.

I move up and go over to talk to a man whom seems to know a lot.
We talk over hot tea and some rice wrapped in a newspaper.
Religion, culture and weather were some of our favorite topics.

A crowd of children, women storm the entrance.
Hands reached out in desperation.
Bodies squished against each other.
Security has to push back against the surge of beggars.

This is Idul Adha
Celebrated by the Muslims to remember the willingness of Abraham to sacrifice Ishmael
At a mosque

With an imam

In Indonesia

On a Sunday Morning

Unforgettable. 



Jason in complete confusion.

I am not sure who was more scared.  Me or the poor guy holding the other half of meat?


A little stack of buffalo meat with some intestines on top....ready for distribution in the surrounding community.

You understand what I mean that my legs are a little of the awkward side.  The Imam and I enjoying rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment