Monday, August 29, 2011

The REAL Indonesia!

I hope that you are excited to read this, because I am very excited to write this blog post.

First, thank-you for all your birthday wishes.  I had a wonderful and unforgettable birthday, I'll tell you more in a bit. 

Secondly, in the previous blog post is instructions on how to post a comment without creating an account.

Thirdly, if you have a question or something about my time here let me know by posting a comment or by email @ Jason_k_horlings@hotmail.com

Well, the real Indonesia has finally come into my life and it has been a hilarious, joyous and challenging 4 days here in Kudus.  Kudus is where I will live from mid-October until July…what a great place to call home.  I have been living with an Indonesian family living and attempting to live an Indonesian life the past 4 days unlike my first 5 days in Indonesia. 

The Challenging
1.
 Well, I introduced myself in front of hundreds of people at 3 different church services in Indonesian. Enough said.
2.
I met with 14 pastors of the Kudus church that I am apart of and they spoke Indonesian the entire time.  Yup, you read that right.  There are14 pastors for 2500 members spread between 2 congregations under the same church name here in Kudus.  Unbelievable.
3.
There is one thing that has me in disbelief here.  It is poverty.  What I can’t get over is not how much poverty there is or something, but how ambiguous and confusing it is. 

If there was one thing that I thought I actually knew something about before coming here was poverty issues.  As some of you know, I have studied poverty in some of my university classes and I am involved in university campus action and awareness around poverty.  I have known about its complexity and multi-dimensional character, but poverty here has me perplexed.  Why?

First, I have not talked to anyone about this yet because of the language barrier and because I rather observe and take in Indonesia before unleashing questions immediately. 

Secondly, the outer appearance of Indonesia is “run-down” by North American standards.  There are few things that are “nice and shiny”.  There is not a drastic contrast between wealth/affluence and poverty as I expected.  There are nice cars and mansions that some live in, but on the whole, from my observations, there is not a huge contrast here. 

Thirdly, therefore, poverty is not easy to spot.  What I mean by that is in, say, Vancouver, there is significant poverty beside incredible wealth.  At least it seems that we can pin poverty down to a location and people—a community.  You find this across North America.  Here, I cannot say I have seen someone whom I would refer to as “poor…”..That is because my eyes do not know what to interpret from the way of life that surrounds me.

Which is good for a number of reasons:
-- Poverty is so deep and complicated that appearances give little clue as to what is actually going on in people’s lives. 
-- I have an even greater desire to learn more about the poor after realizing how little I know about poverty.
-- It dispels stereotypes of poverty and the “developing countries” in a hurry
4. 
Speaking very little Indonesian and talking a lot less in the course of a day have taught me 2 things so far.
                        --Going from one place to another, meeting new people in each of the new places and not speaking has caused my identity to be stripped down quite a bit from what I became accustomed to in Canada.  It has become quickly evident that I will be constantly reminded that my identity is found in Christ.  It’s simple, but it is very real when you enter a cross-cultural context. 
                        -- Nothing makes St. Francis of Assisi’s famous words “Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words” more real in my life than….NOW!  I am challenged to think far more about my actions than ever before and I also notice others actions far more because of my limited verbal communication.

The joyous
--My family in Kudus.  I am delighted to live with them for a year.  They love having me here, and I love being with them.  So it works out great.  I consider it one family, but in North American words, I live with 2 familes that share a house.  I will tell you more about them in another post as well as give you a video tour of my home.

-- Let’s just say that my family owns a bakery, restaurant and catering service.  I eat very very well.  I want food, I get food and when I don’t want food……I get food.
Mami and me at her bakery.  She is a chef!

-- My sister Irene.  She is my life-line here.  She is one of the most caring and patient individual that I have ever meet.  I wish you could meet her.  She makes sure I take my naps ever day since I am so exhausted.  She cooks breakfast for me.  She drives me everywhere on the motorcycle.  She teaches me new words all day.  She calls out “Jason, are you okay?” when I go to the washroom.  (By the way, I am very thankful for that.)  She laughs at me.  She prayed with me last night when I felt quite homesick.  She has set a new standard of love and care in my life and I cannot imagine a better person to have welcomed me here to Indonesia. 
Irene and me

--I have hung out with the young adults here.  There are crazy, hilarious and speak some English.  And guess what? I get to spend the whole year with them. YES!
Some young adults eating fried noodles.

Hilarious
My family and the young adults group at my church had a surprise party for me! It was great and the young adults here are easy to hang-out with and made for a great party.

As I awkwardly made my way through the birthday traditions here, one moment was particularly hilarious.  I was asked to say 3 wishes.  At home, we don’t really do this and if we do it is not taken too seriously.  I didn’t know what they expect with this part of the birthday so I said my three wishes. I said I wanted to learn Indonesian, learn footsal and then I was stumped for a last wish. 

Then someone yelled out “get a girl-friend”.  I laughed and jokingly said “okay, sure.”  Well, there is more weight placed on these wishes than I imagined.  It took 2 minutes before the pastor asked God in prayer for not only “Jason to serve God this year” but for “Jason to find an Indonesian girl friend.”  Oh my…  I have laughed ever time I think about this.

I keep thinking of things to write, but that is it for now. 

Much Love, Jason


2 comments:

  1. Jason:
    Thanks for sharing adventures and misadventures. Our prayers and thoughts will be with you as you adapt to Indonesia (Oost Indies).
    My memories of my birth country are masked by Dutch/Indonesian culture and my diapers. I was will taken care of by my babu (?). I am sure you will enjoy the great variety of Indonesian food as we do at home.

    Mr Franken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason! I love hearing about all that you're learning and observing in Indonesia! One thing that stuck out to me just now is you said the churches have 14 pastors for a 2500 member congregation. This is pretty awesome actually! I remember in Columbia there was one pastor... for 50,000 people! However, all these people didn't go to church. But he spent a lot of time visiting every village. I praise God that a church in the middle of a Muslim country has so many leaders to share God's kingdom!

    Thanks for sharing again Jay!!
    Alyssa.

    ReplyDelete